Wednesday, April 23, 2008

911...What's your emergency

Alyson and Abby were talking about emergencies and how to handle them in Girl Scouts last week. I play Bunco with their Girl Scout leader, so on Friday night she was telling me that Alyson told the story about her calling 911 because her parents were "missing!"

About a year ago I was coming home from Target and when I turned down a street close by home, there was a truck that tried to jump a huge ditch in the road and didn't make it. There were a few fire trucks, metro officers, etc... I called Aaron and told him to walk down to the corner to check it out with me. (the guy in the truck was okay because he got out and ran away from the scene).

The kids were asleep so Aaron opened the garage door and walked outside to take a look. Alyson woke up and couldn't find us in the house because we were standing down the street (like 20 yards away from our front door). She got scared, woke up her sisters, let the dog out of the kennel, and called 911. I thought I could hear them so I walked back to the yard, and there they stood. All 3 girls, the dog and the cat. Alyson was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher and when she saw me she told the dispatcher "oh, there's my mom." Poor girl was shaking and scared. I couldn't get to her though because Maggie (our poodle) wouldn't let us in the yard. I explained to Alyson she did the right thing and we love to laugh about it now! Aaron walked down to the corner to tell the officer to ignore the 911 call to our address.

Sorry it's such a long blog but I wanted to write about it since I am using this as a journal.

No comments: