Sunday, November 9, 2008

I love our police scanner....

About 2 years ago we bought a police scanner and let me tell you, it's addicting. We go through stages of listening to it all the time, to not listening to it for weeks. Well, last night we were on our way home from Cory's (Aaron's brother) and we had the scanner in the van so it was on and we were sort of listening to it. While getting the kids in the house we heard the dispatcher say our street name. What??? Wait!! What did he just say? So,we watched outside for awhile and nothing happened so we were all getting ready for bed when all of a sudden all 3 girls came running down stairs saying that the cops were out front telling us to come out of our house that the house was surrounded. Poor kids were shaking with fear and secretly so was I. Well, Aaron walked out front while the kids and I ran upstairs to look out Alyson's window. They were not at our house but across the street trying to get the young kids (home alone at 10:30pm) to open the door. Of course I had the scanner upstairs with me so I could hear everything going on.

Sadly, the 7 young kids were home alone and would not open the door. The cops kept telling them ,loudly on their speaker system, to unlock the door and let them in. The cops finally called for a locksmith and animal control (they have 3 pit bulls, nice!). After about 1 hour (still no locksmith) I guess the kids were brave enough to open the door.

Let me tell you how sad it was to see these young kids taken from their home late at night by Child Protective Service. Little babies being carried out asleep by strangers and young kids running back into the house to get formula and medicine for the sleeping babies.

I'm not sure where the parents were or how the cops and CPS knew the kids were home alone but it made for an eventful night and like I said, I love our police scanner!

4 comments:

Ramona said...

Oh, that is so sad. I couldn't imagine leaving 7 kids home alone.

The Wachel Family said...

Geeeeez, what's the deal?? That is just plain sad. Your poor girls must've been so scared!

Jessica said...

Those poor kids. How sad!

Liz Prisbrey said...

That is so sad and scary! Those poor kids. I bet that must have freaked your kids out!